Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Paul O'Brien Twigg, 1868 and John William Havelock John in Google Books

While doing Google searches on various versions of my ancestors names and places they lived, I came across these two interesting hits on Google Books. The first one is an announcement of my great-grandparents wedding in "Chemist and druggist, the newsweekly for pharmacy" (Great-grandpa was a chemist).

I think the second one might have a broader interest for anyone who has European ancestors who lived in Asia or the Pacific as it appears to include a large list of such people including their job title and location. I found it on a search for "Twigg Chefoo".

It includes a listing for "Twigg, P.O'B., Assistant, Hongkew Medical Hall, Shanghai." Apparently McTavish and Lehman, the chemists he worked for before he got his own license where in that building.

It also has a listing "John, J.W.H., proof reader, Maritime Customs Printing Office, Shanghai" (My mother's father's father, John William Havelock John).

Chemist and Druggist Weekly


The Directory and Chronicle for China, Japan, Corea...


Below is a picture of McTavish and Lehman. I have often wondered if the figure in the upstairs window could be my Great-Grandfather.


Oh yes, I also see some Duffs and Watsons in this list. Apparently the Duffs were friends and/or neighbors of Grandpa John's family and Dr. Watson and his family were friends of my Mother's family but I have yet to figure out which of the Duffs and Watsons listed here those might be.

The wedding announcement from 1897 says: "Twigg--Jessup Clark--On October 28, at H.R.M's Consulate-General, Shanghai, China, by Sir Nicholas J. Hannen, and afterwards at the Shanghai Free Christian Church, by Rev. S. Dyer, Paul O'Brien Twigg, Chemist and druggist, to Ellen Adelaide Jessup-Clark."

No comments:

Post a Comment